April 4, 2008

Bad news on the home front.

Well this past week we have had some issues with McCayla. So we made a Doctors appointment for her today (Friday). The issues have been actually going on for several weeks with her. She has had excessive potty breaks and a couple of days ago she wet her bed (which is totally out of character for her). So at the doctors appointment she had to have a urine test and after the results came back to the doctor he had a really long pause with a hugh sigh, then the nurse came in with a glucose meter and they tested her blood this way. Her reading was at 305 (at this time I lost it, I turned away from her and was trying my hardest to fight back tears, so much so the doctor told me to leave the room) For those of you that aren't familiar with this reading a normal reading after not eating is between 80 and 140. The doctor proceeded to tell McCayla that she is too sweet or at least her blood is. So now she is on an Insulin shot (luckily one a day, but that's bad enough). We don't as of right now have to check her blood sugar with the glucose meter (this might change once we go and see the specialist on diabetes). But my worst fear has come true she has be unofficially diagnosised with Diabetes Type 1 or Type 2 we are unsure of at this moment. I'll keep you all informed and up to date as we find out more information.

6 Thoughts:

SJT said...

Goodness! Sorry to hear about that. Why did you fear that she had diabetes? Just because of the past few weeks or before that? I'm glad you took her to the Dr. and that it's treatable. Hopefully she won't have to start the daily testing. Let us know how it goes. We will be thinking about you.

Bernard said...

I wish you the best of luck with your daughter and dealing with diabetes. There are a lot of valuable and useful resources on the web right now.

A good place to start is the TuDiabetes.com social networking site. Depending on what you find out, you might find their group for parents of children with type 1 diabetes to be useful.

There are also many blogger with diabetes and bloggers who have children with diabetes. The Diabetes OC site is a good place to find these.

I also created a diabetes search tool that looks for information and answers on many diabetes sites.

I hope all of this is of some help.

God bless.

Lynn and Mike said...

As someone new to diabetes, myself, let me know what resources I can help you with. Easiest trick- glycemically (sp?) balance her meals- 1 carb for 1 protein. That, along with my Metformin, has been very helpful (and fairly easy to do).

You are all in our thoughts and prayers. We love you.

Jennings Family said...

We are so sorry to hear about McCayla. There are so many new treatments and continuous research. I wish you guys lots of luck. If there is anything we can do, let us know. We will keep you guys in our thoughts and prayers.

Ryan and Kim said...

Wow! Please keep us posted!

Michelle said...

Wow! Did you know about this before or is a total surprise? We will keep her in our prayers. We pray that you will be able to find the right diet/treatment for her.