April 3, 2007

I feel like a single parent again

Any one out there thought having a child with your husband would change your relationship for the better??? Well I know that I did. But in actualality it probably has made it worse. I have a 6 year old daughter and a 5 month old son and I also have a 24 year old big kid. Lets see what brings me to typeing this tonight is the fact that;
First things first, my husband works 3rd shift and comes home anywhere between 6:15 am and 6:30 am. I normally wake up at 6 am - 6:15 am and get ready to leave for work by 6:45 am - 7 am. My husband when he gets home proceeds to let the dogs out and then heads straight to bed. Meanwhile I'm getting myself ready for work and then I have to proceed to get both children ready for the day. The 6 year old gets breakfast and the 5 month old feed, his food ready for the day and put in his car seat. I know I should wake up earlier so all this can be done in plenty of time with out the rush but keep in mind while I'm doing all this my husband is sleeping. Then once the kids have breakfast started I start to pack up the car. The diaper bag, purse, and car seat with baby.
Finally on the road, about 30- 45 minutes later I arrive at my parents house to drop off the baby and then proceed to work by 8:30. Meanwhile my daughter is keeping herself busy playing until 11:30am then that is when my husband is supposed to wake up so he can feed her and get her ready for school by 12:25 (drop off time at the school). Then he does who knows what during the rest of the time until he has to pick her up at 3:45ish (depending on how late the bus is). Then (like yesterday and today) he comes home and falls asleep again. He is complaining about only getting 5-6 hours of sleep. Man I really think he needs to take a day in my shoes. By 5 pm I'm on my way to get the baby from my parents house and then head home to arrive at home around 6:45 ish (depending on traffic). So I'm away from home for about 12 hours.
Lets see tonight I came home to my husband sound asleep in the bed while my daughter is playing with her toys (which is totally fine since she is very mature for her age). But when I have to work all day then come home and cook dinner, clean up the kitchen and feed both kids and his lazy butt it gets very annoying. He complains when I ask him to cook. HELLO your the one that is home all afternoon cooking is the least I expect from him. Is this so wrong of me????? The kids go to bed (which I have to put them to bed most nights our daughter for sure all the time (he doesn't want to deal with her crying and fit throwing which she does when he puts her to bed) He does put our son to bed most nights. But guess what it's like pulling hen's teeth to get him off his lazy butt to even go for a walk around the neighborhood (when I mention it he sayes "ENJOY") He would much rather get his lazy butt spralled out on the couch and fall asleep agian, I'm beginning to think he has a sleeping disorder. But now that I've vented it's time to go and have a smoke!!! I think I'll even talke a long walk around the neighborhood and cool off.

2 Thoughts:

SJT said...

Sorry you had a tough night! I know 3rd shift was hard for us w/o kids, I can't imagine with!

Ryan and Kim said...

I know what you mean, it's hard enough with one kid. Ryan does try to help out a lot but at first he was working 4pm to 7am and I'm not working so I feel like I have to do the work so he can sleep...but it doesn't make me any less resentful at times. Like now he's back working 7am to 4pm...but i get up all night w/her so he can sleep. When I ask him to play with her, it's usually him sitting with her on his lap as he watches tv, no interaction for her! I hope things smooth out, I know it's a rough adjustment on a relationship, Ryan and I bicker more than we did before, but we're getting through it.