August 21, 2008

Furious with the schools and it's only the first full week of school

Hmm where do I begin? First of all let me give you a little insight on why we are upset with the school. You all know that there is a supply list for every student for each year of school. But be warned (course all the teachers out there might know this already) don't go out and buy your kids what they want get the cheapest junk out there possible. You may be wondering why I say this. I'm saying this becuase we have experienced for the past 2 years a community supply station. The first day of school you take all the supplies that you purchase and put them in with the other kids supplies. So you child doesn't use the same items that you originally purchased. It's a grab-for-all. We purchased folders, scissors, a ruler and other items that I put McCayla's name on and I find out last night that none of that is in her school desk. They are in a storage closet in the classroom for use of later by everyone. NO I bought specific items for my daughter to use and last her all school year long. I even drew little pictures on her folders so she could think of me at school ( I know dorky right?) and put her name in them too. I see a folder that doesn't have her name on it nor does it have the pictue I drew for her on it. It's some other kids folder (no name so not sure who's it is though). Ok to stop the raising questions may be its a folder that is extra supplied by the teacher? That I don't know of but we had to by 4 folders of a certain color and one that was of her choice color. So the folder she brought home is 1 of those certain colored folder that we had to buy. I'm livid and sent the principle and the 2 teachers that M has had so far this year an email venting my frustration with the school supply issue. One has responded back to me and the other teacher and principle has not. I will be calling the school later today and hopefully get a good explaination to all this "community supplies".

4 Thoughts:

Ryan and Kim said...

I have to say we did use community supplies in my classroom. I let them keep their own crayons and scissors and 2 folders.

The rest was kept to replenish as things wore out. Glue and pencils were in a basket on each table for them to share.

I did the pencils so I could sharpen them in the AM and they would not get up and down. Glue was also easier to share so it wasn't gunking up the desk.

Also some parents send NO supplies for their kids and on my salary I could not always afford to buy for the 8 kids that came with nothing. It was also easier to share some things so they were not arguing about so and so has my whatever...

I hope you can get in touch with the teacher, but that is a former teacher's view.

SJT said...

That sounds frusterating. Sounds like if they are going to do community supplies they should let you know.

Ryan and Kim said...

Yeah but we can't make the parents buy them, and it's not the kids fault they have nothing. It's very frustrating on both ends.

The Bartlett's said...

I think their should be a compromise in that situation, though. Parents should be allowed to buy specific supplies for their children to keep, as well as, supplies reserved for community use. If everybody bought 1 extra of everything, then there would be enough left over for those who weren't able to bring the necessary supplies. The other solution is to be one of those parents who fail to provide the necessary supplies, then use the community supplies everyone else is providing! Good Luck!