Over this past weekend we had promised McCayla that we would go roller skating (I was really looking forward to this since I haven't gone in over a decade). So we show up there and we rent the skates for all of us including Zach. We get them on and McCayla was doing okay on the carpet. Let me back track a little, before we went inside we told her that we weren't expecting her to take off her first time and that she will fall down but she needed to get back up and try again and the main thing was to have FUN! Also the reason we promised her we would go this weekend was because her school was having a skate night last Tuesday that we weren't going to be able to go to. Okay back to the story. So we all have our skates on and Zach was doing very well he was so cute in those skates that slipped on over his shoes he was having to pick up his feet higher just to walk but he would also shuffel his feet and make them roll. After I tied McCayla's skates we were set to go out on the floor. I was holding her hand and we were doing good until she stepped foot on the floor then she went crashing down to the ground, got upset and I tried to comfort her and reassure her that everybody falls the first time. So I tried to push her along and let her get used to the feel of the wheels under her feet, that didn't work very well. so I talked her into holding onto the wall and just walking along the wall while I held her hand. she did that until she got to the big wall (not the half wall but the full wall) then she had nothing to actually hold onto. She went to the ground, had a hard time getting up and down she went again, She claimed that she had enough of this and wanted to go and sit down. A gentleman came up to us with his daughter (a little older then McCayla) and he had his daughter hold one of McCayla's hands while I held the other and she did good until she started to freak out. So the girl and McCayla went and sat down I went around a few times keeping an eye on her and she would move on the carpet but the slick or smooth floor was just a little too much for her at this time. So she sat on the sidelines while Bryan, Zach and I skated around the floor. Mental note to all those out there with young ones get them started at a young age becuase if they have any fear in them that will prevent them doing fun and easy things like this. Oh yeah she's the same way with her Bike too!! If she falls she just stops and won't get back on and try it again. But Bryan and I had a blast watching Zach (who was held by Bryan as he skated around). I really enjoyed watching McCayla skate the little that she did do. We brought the camera but as I am natorious I left it in the car :( so I didn't get any pictures of this experience. But I can promise you it won't be the last time we do this! I think it's great exercise for the whole family.
March 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 Thoughts:
Sounds like fun. I hadn't thought about taking the boys skating because they are still so young, but it sounds like Zach had a good time.
that was a good idea for a family activity. mccayla will enjoy it more next time.
Yeah, I broke my arm roller skating in 8th grade and vowed to never get on wheels again. Definately right about the fear thing. You should have seen me when Matt took me ice skating for the first time last year!!
I love roller skating! McKayla will get more and more interested in it as her friends do, right? In August, I think we should go skating as part of your dinner party!!!
Post a Comment