Good day, I know that it's been a long time since I've wrote. Not much has happened in our lives lately. Well since we bought the additions of Fish we have had 2 die we replaced them with 2 more, a day later we lost 2 more returned them but we didn't get any more. Then a day later we lost Optimus Prime very sad. :( Then a week later the kids noticed little things floating in the tank. Well low and behold we have babies!!! we just saw 3 at first but now it's been 2 weeks since we saw them we have approximately 15 babies I say approximately because it's really difficult to actually count all of them. But the babies are all guppies.
Ok enough of that on to the real reason for this blog entry. This is for the family members since I realize that the Friends will not be swaping gifts.
Family please instead of giving a gift to McCayla for her birthday and christmas we are requesting that you donate a gift to an underprivileged child instead or to a childrens home some type of charity like that. Your probably saying why the request for just McCayla, well we have experienced a major delima that has been on going this year. First she is lieing about her Blood sugar numbers, sneaking food behind our backs, eating parts of her lunch on the bus to school it keeps going on and on for that list. Then tonight was kind of the straw that broke the camels back for us. Bryan has been saving up money for chirstmas gifts for the kids and keeping this money in a drawer and McCayla found it. After the lieing I told her to bring me her book bag and I found 2 dollars and 3 cents in it. We haven't given her in cash so she shouldn't have it. I asked where it came from and she said a friend gave it to her. She said that she would give it back to her friend and I said no that I would give it back to the friend. She then confessed of taking the money from her piggy bank. We asked her how much she took and she said 10 we were floored because there isn't that much in her piggy bank so we know that she couldn't get that type of amount from her bank. Then she said it came from daddy's drawer. That did it!!! We grounded her and now have labled her a theif and a liar.
So this is why we are requesting all gifts for McCayla to be donated we are hoping that this will instill a lesson on her part. Along with the no gifts we have taken her recess away, with the teachers help, and her library privilege as well. Thank you for understanding and keep us in your prayers and thoughts while we are dealing with this! I hope non of you have to go through this it is very difficult to deal with.
November 18, 2009
Christmas request
From Bryan / Pamela at 11:14 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





3 Thoughts:
Pam,
I completely share your concern over this and agree with your measures. However, I disagree with the public rebuke. I think we should praise in public and rebuke in private. I mean, I know why you did it. As McCayla's uncle, I'm hurt by her actions as well. But I think the public rebuke was unduly harsh.
Having said that, we will support you in your decision and refrain from giving McCayla gifts this year. Also, we'll continue to pray for her and your family.
-Mike
Hey guys! Even though you didn't ask for it...here's my advice/ two cents!
When our students make poor decisions, at home (when parents ask us to intervene) or at school (when we need parental support), we suggest parents use a day-to-day reward/ consequence system.
Research has shown that daily rewards (favorite dinners prepared, extra TV time, etc) for positive behaviors or daily consequences (lost recess, lost TV privledges, etc) for negative behaviors are much more effective on elementary and middle school aged children than long-term rewards/ punishments.
I don't really know how exactly you could apply this to your current situation with McCayla, but maybe you could figure out a daily system for her to use (maybe a sticker chart), incorporating her blood sugar monitoring and honest decision making skills that will help you guys all come together the way you want as a trusting home.
Good luck! Tell McCayla that we all love her and know she will start making good, HEALTHY decisions again. THinking of you all!
~Lynn and Mike
Third grade can definitely be a hard time! Kids are all trying to figure out what is acceptable to do and not do and are constantly pushing the limits to see where their parents will set the boundaries. Hopefully you guys can find a way to gently guide McCayla into having good values so she can continue to grow up to be the great daughter/person we all know she is. She is a smart girl and I'm sure will be able to understand how you guys are feeling when you talk to her about the situation. It sounds like too that McCayla doesn't understand how being a diabetic and not following it all will affect her in the long haul (which makes sense since so many adults struggle with the same reality)! Sadly, parenting is not always easy!
Post a Comment