Well this past Tuesday night M took her blood sugar like normal before dinner and it was 58 ok a little low. So we make Tomato Soup with Grilled cheese sandwiches. She has two bowls (serving size 1/2 cup = 20 grams of carbs) So total Carb intake was between 50 - 60 normal amount for her. So she's feeling fine and goes to bed. Then around 11:40 she comes down stairs and informs me that she just got sick and wasn't feeling good. Okay nothing scary yet. Her it is I have her check her blood sugar and it's 460 Majorly high!!! So I'm kind of freakig out going through all the thoughts in my head on what to do in this case. She is still coherent and not acting really any different then she normally does when she's sick. Kind of pale but still her normal self. So I call the Dr. and wait for a call back Finally get one back and she has me check her keytones and they are normal (keytones from what I understand check the insulin in the blood stream making sure there is enough of it). I give her one unit of the fast acting insulin that we have on hand (thankfully we had that) then we wait. So after about 1 hour of waiting we check it again. It's down to 445 not a big drop but it's going down (I guess) I wasn't sure what else I needed to do. The Dr. didn't really tell me much of anything else to do since I did aleady what I needed to do. So I had her sleep in my bed so I could keep an eye / ear on her. All those parents out there it's easier to keep that closer eye / ear on a child when they are in your bed since you won't sleep as sound as you normally do.
Here's a funny little experience that I had with her in the bed with me. I was "sleeping" and was awaken with her tapping on my knee and I say to her "what do you need honey?" She said nothing and I asked her why was she tapping on me. She didn't even realize that she was doing it.
Ok I know crazy little thing but I thought it was pretty humurous. The good news was that she woke up with a 181 Blood sugar and it went down from there during the day. Then again spiked today but not nearly as high as it was that night. We never figured out why it went up the dr. didn't even know why.
September 4, 2008
A Health Scare for me!!
From Bryan / Pamela at 9:41 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





2 Thoughts:
I can imagine that's pretty scary, but it seems like you handled it great. Matt's getting the hang of the new job, but has his reservations. But, hey, it's work.
That is scary - I hope you can keep it low. I'm sure it's a lot to deal with!
Post a Comment