November 6, 2007

HEY DAD!!!!

Okay the title to this reins true for my dad. I'm not sure if all of you knew but my dad was diagnosed (unofficially) last christmas with skin cancer. He however didn't have a job nor insurance at that time to get it taken care of. Since then he has gotten a job and waited the normal 30 - 90 days for insurance to kick in. So he has had insurance for a couple of months now. He has pushed off getting the cancer taken care of due to his busy busy schedule. However, when I went to Reno I meet a Lady that was a skin cancer survivor. She had it so bad that they had to cut a big chunck of her face off (due to reconstructive surgery, you couldn't tell she looked amazing). But after hearing her story I pretty much lost it and started to cry my eyes out. One thing about my dad he is the type of guy that doesn't show emotion fear at all. So almost a year later he is still joking about the cancer or not even saying it at all. So on my birthday I told him the greatest gift he could give me was for him to get the cancer taken care of. He kindof did one of those kid responses of looking down at the ground and said ok. So the Hey is the fact that yesterday my dad went to the doctor and had the spot in his hair line (on his temple) taken care of the spot under his eye and the big knot over his eye all removed. It was wonderful I was there (to get Zach but since dad had the car keys and I couldn't get the diaper bag nor his car seat without them, I stuck around). I was under the impression that it would be a diagnosis appointment and they would schedule the surgery for another time but when he came back to the waiting room he had the stitches and the big bump was gone. So they took care of it at this session. YEAHH!!! Dad said the dr. thinks the bump was a tumor or something like that. But This is my hip hip hoorray for my Dad. I Love You Daddy!!!.

3 Thoughts:

Jen said...

That's wonderful! My dad's the same way... He's been smoking over a pack a day for almost 50 years, routinely hacks up a lung, and yet refuses to go to a doctor. I guess he's just scared of what they will tell him. It's hard to face your parents' mortality...

Ryan and Kim said...

n has 3 teeth on bottom and 2 coming in on top.

ryan's dad has had several dealings with skin cancer. i hope ryan won't have them too.

Mom to 2+2=4 said...

Congratulations to you, Pam, and your dad. Each of you did what you needed to do to care for yourselves and each other! I did the same thing for my dad about a dozen years or more ago. I wrote him a letter asking him to please go to the doctor for his "spots". He finally did it and then wasn't so afraid to go back a couple of more times as more skin cancer developed. His decision to deal with it kept the problem small rather then let it evolve to something serious later on.
Susan's mom